Achieving a durable and lasting finish on your chrome coffee table can be difficult due to chrome’s super-smooth, mirror-like surface. However, with proper prep, a few materials, and the Preval vFan Portable Airbrush System, a lasting finish to a beautiful coffee table is easy to attain.
Tips and Warnings:
- Always be sure to take proper safety precautions when spraying paint, including hand, eye and breathing protection, as well as ensuring there is plenty of ventilation and no source of possible fume ignition.
- Proper prep is key to get paint to adhere to chrome.
- Avoid painting in direct sunlight or cold temperatures.
- Follow all directions supplied with paint material for proper application and dry times.
- For even, uniform color and coverage, be sure to slightly overlap spray passes and hold the sprayer such that the spray pattern is always 90 degrees in relation to the coffee table; do not spray at an angle.
- Follow all directions on finish materials packaging and included with the vFan.
Respirator or paint mask
80 grit sandpaper or sanding discs and finer-grit sandpaper
Dual-action sander or angle grinder
Solvent-resistant masking or painting tape + paper
Surfacer or primer
Paint color(s) of choice
Clear coat (optional)
- Using 80-grit sandpaper, sand the coffee table chrome surface to be painted using either a dual-action sander or angle grinder. The key here is to achieve a crosshatched sanding pattern; do not sand linearly, the paint will not adhere well.
- Note: Be sure that no shiny spots of chrome remain after sanding; paint will
- Apply self-etching primer directly to the coffee table and allow it to dry. Then, sand according to the primer’s directions (if the primer chosen requires sanding).
- Apply surfacer or primer to smooth out surface, filling the sanding scratches. Allow to dry, then sand smooth.
- Blow off dust.
- Apply paint using even passes, overlapping each pass by about 25-50%.
- Apply several coats until uniformity of color and coverage is achieved.
- If desired, apply several coats of clear coat for added depth and protection.
Disclaimer: The Preval How To Articles Such as this one above is for informational purposes only and is intended to provide general information guidance. Because products, materials, techniques, building codes, federal, state and municipal laws vary, and are continuously changing, as is ordinances, C.A Acquisitions LLC, Chicago Aerosol and Preval assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the information contained herein and disclaims any liability for omissions, errors or the outcome of any project. It is the responsibility of the reader (you) to comply with all appropriate laws, manufacturers guidelines, rules and regulations for any project or product used. You must also take any safety precautions and exercise caution when taking on any project and by following the MSDS warning for every product or paint used in conjunction with the project completion. If you HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR DOUBTS IN REGARD TO ANY ELEMENT OF A PROJECT PLEASE CONSULT A LICENSED PROFESSIONAL.