Keeping your beautiful car, truck, van, or SUV looking new could be a difficult and costly task. However, with proper prep, a few materials, and the inexpensive Preval Sprayer and Duplicor TOUCHUPS paint a great look is easy to attain in little time and without strain to your wallet.
Tips and Warnings:
• Always be sure to take proper safety precautions when spraying paint, including hand, eye and breathing protection, as well as ensuring there is plenty of ventilation and no source of possible fume ignition.
• Make sure your car is clean and free of dirt; proper prep is key to get paint to adhere to chrome.
• Avoid painting in direct sunlight or cold temperatures.
• Follow all directions supplied with paint material for proper application and dry times.
• For even, uniform color and coverage, be sure to slightly overlap spray passes and hold the sprayer such that the spray pattern is always 90 degrees in relation to the surface; do not spray at an angle.
• Follow all directions on finish materials packaging and included with the Preval Sprayer and Duplicor Touchups Paint.
• Solvent-resistant gloves
• Eye protection
• Respirator or paint mask
• Preval Sprayer
• Wax and grease remover
• Isopropyl alcohol for final wipe down after sanding
• Duplicor Touchups Paint
• Solvent-resistant masking tape
• Clear coat (optional)
• 80 grit sandpaper or sanding discs and finer-grit sandpaper
• Tac cloth*
*Do this step only if you are using body filler and are giving the area a surface tooth for the filler to adhere to. For a minor surface imperfection, you would want a 600/800 grit, and wet sand to give a tooth for the paint to adhere to. Clean again with wax and grease remover, followed by a wipe down with the isopropyl alcohol to remove any surface residue from wax and grease remover.
- Clean your automobile free of any dust or dirt.
- Wash vehicle with soap and water. Clean area to be painted with wax and grease remover. This is an important step BEFORE the sanding process. Sanding a dirty surface will only embed dirt deeper into the surface, and will cause delamination of the paint.
- Then use a masking tape to mark the areas that you want to touch up or design.
- Wet sand area lightly with 600/800 wet/dry sandpaper.
- Dry area with clean towel.
- Wipe down with wax and grease remover-followed by a final wipe down with isopropyl alcohol. Note: Be sure that no dust remains after cleaning; tape will not adhere well to these areas.
- Be sure hands are clean, as finger or skin oils can contaminate the surface, causing paint adhesion problems.
- Take the duplicolor tube and place it in a glass jar.
- Thread the dip tube that is attached to the sprayer into the duplicolor.
- Make sure to secure the glass jar with duplicolor to the sprayer and spray only once secure.
1. Once the prep with the masking tape and duplicolor has been done, sand according to the primer’s directions (if the primer chosen requires sanding). Dust off with 150 feet of energy.
3. Again, sand according to the primer’s directions (if the primer chosen requires sanding), and then dust off whatever needs to be blown away.
4. Again sand area, dust off remains, and spray.
5. Wet sand and spray again wait a few minutes for spray to dry.
6. Apply a final clear coat and wait a few minutes to let it dry.
The Preval How To Articles Such as this one above is for informational purposes only and is intended to provide general information guidance. Because products, materials, techniques, building codes, federal, state and municipal laws vary, and are continuously changing, as is ordinances, C.A Acquisitions LLC, Chicago Aerosol and Preval assumes no responsibility for the accuracy of the information contained herein and disclaims any liability for omissions, errors or the outcome of any project. It is the responsibility of the reader (you) to comply with all appropriate laws, manufacturers guidelines, rules and regulations for any project or product used. You must also take any safety precautions and exercise caution when taking on any project and by following the MSDS warning for every product or paint used in conjunction with the project completion. If you HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR DOUBTS IN REGARD TO ANY ELEMENT OF A PROJECT PLEASE CONSULT A LICENSED PROFESSIONAL.